Wednesday, July 15, 2015

What I learned today

I have continued my "Play" with Lori Whitlock's pop up flower card which I had bought from the silhouette design store.  Only made one complete card, however, to date here"
 

 This was all about printing on deli paper but now I wanted to try to take the flowers to another whole level using the pattern pieces in different sizes "and" playing with the patterns.
Here is a screenshot of some of the ideas I worked on, had loads of fun with these as I layered patterns onto patterns, just using the basic flower shape and the wonderful tools in Silhouette Studio.  This is a nice way for me to refresh some skills using the tools available and lots of the patterns I have added to my pattern library.  No need for a huge stash of patterned papers.  I have been thinking of doing a video showing the steps I followed to create these but I am sure most of you can figure out how I got these,  tip is to make sure all cut lines "except" the outermost edge are no cut.


I knew I wanted to print the desired flowers onto my large format full page labels that I got here:
100 full page labels at $.36 apiece can go a long way, of course there is the printer ink and I don't know how to cost factor that in, but still an inexpensive way to go.  

My thought was to create stickers for the printed designs and add them to either plain copy paper or cardstock cut using the basic flower pattern.
I could have done a regular print and cut, but only 4 or 5 will fit on page since I do not have wide copy paper, and once I put the registration area onto 8.5 x 11 paper, it limits how many I can print and cut.   I do have white 12"cardstock but not with a smooth finish and I wasn't sure the cardstock would be too heavy.   Plus, I have the 12" x 18" printable labels which seemed ideal.  I wanted a card with a blue chinoiserie look, so here is a pic of the sheet of labels fresh out of the printer:
You can see I have a lot more space on the page to play with so threw in another flower pattern and some labels and still had room for more, so off to print.  NOW this is what I learned today, I must be careful putting the side to be printed correctly in my printer and this picture shows the printing that took place on the backing sheet that has no adhesive!! I didn't realize it until the whole sheet was fed through Cameo and cut.   Waaa, but making lemonade out of lemons and not minding a reprint, I just put another sheet of labels into the printer (I do have 100 of them) then fed through Cameo and this time got the right side printed.  Then I decided to put both pieces together for the flower card design which will show both sides printed.  Here are a couple of pictures showing two of them.  I think they would make cute little parasols too.  The back sides are the printed backing sheet adhered to the sticky label print.  The printing on the backing sheet is not quite and vivid as the "right" printable side of the label, but obviously both can be printed, now to see how they assemble into the pop up card.  



Next step gluing together to create pop up insert
and here is a little video of finished card:



Post a Comment