Thursday, April 24, 2014

Using silkscreens on clay

Back to using my silkscreens on clay.  Made this vessel in low fire white clay.  It is drying, while I think about what I want to do with the surface.




Nothing like that "empty" canvas mind block, so many things I can do with it, hard to decide.  After this I cut the rim so it undulates and you can peek into inside from each side, then I used a stencil to paint blue underglaze circles randomly on outside and inside and decided to silkscreen two images I made into silkscreens.

I made a YouTube video you can see here:    I tried to embed it into this post, but blogger was not cooperating.  So click on the link on the word "here" and you should be able to see it.

Finished silkscreening here:






I will add clear glaze and fire it sometime soon, and hopefully be able to post a finished piece.  What you see as gray clay will be off white.  I like this form and will make a few more with some different decorating techniques.  The reason I like the form is that it can be used to hold items, or as a vase, it also can sit on narrow areas like fireplace mantel, etc  Plus I decorate all sides so it could be viewed from all sides as well.  Looking at this now, I wish I had made the bicycle girl in two directions, would have created some visual movement if the inside one was facing left.  Well may have to make another screen to do this.








No comments: