Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Keeping my eye on the ball


I am watching these boxwood balls created on the 22nd of December just before my bookclub Christmas party. I decided to make them at the last minute (big mistake!) they take quite a bit of time cutting, and sticking and filling the whole sphere but I did manage to make three of them and used them several times in several ways over the holidays (see my December postings), but I wondered how long in advance could I have made these and how long would they look nice and fresh. Here's a picture I took this morning. I have moved them outdoors and they have been resoaked in a bucket of water a few times and rained upon, but it is clear, next year I can make these at least a month in advance. I may even make some for friends next year because I can do them early and I have lots and lots of boxwood.
I used foam balls (4.5" ones) from AFloral.com at $1.99 apiece combined with other things, they could make very nice gifts. They look great just sitting on top of a terra cotta pot and can be used in a number of ways. I will continue my experiment to see exactly how long they will keep looking satisfactorily fresh for holiday planning (and other events as well), maybe I can even incorporate them into a design for Valentine's day?
Meanwhile in the garden lots of things are blooming for this time of year, Camellias which I would expect, but my azaleas are blooming, but not fully as they do in the spring (March/April), so I am not sure what they will do then, then the primroses are up and blooming and of course, those tazetta narcissus are still going strong. I spent the day (actually it has taken me almost three days) pruning up my crepe myrtles, but that garden chore is done and last week I cut back all the loriope, and the Miscanthus grasses, another winter chore, but it is fun working out there in our nice 40--50 degree temperatures.

3 comments:

Naturegirl said...

~LoVe~ the boxwood balls and it's hard to believe that you are looking at flowers blossoming while I am looking at a snow covered garden!

Donna, The Decorated House said...

I have only lately come to truly appreciate boxwoods. I'm just slow because the are wonderful!
What a great idea, and they are still going strong! I LOVE potted ones that are kept a bit trimmed up like that.
I can't wait to see garden pix from you coming soon!

Jen Kershner said...

They are lovely, Pauline. I adore boxwood. I think I'm going to plant more of it this year.

Thank you for the sweet note on my blog about Emma. Sadly, she doesn't have much in the way of grandparents so let me know if you want to apply for the job! ;)