Sunday, January 07, 2007

From the Pretty to the Practical


After Jen at the Cottage Nest inspired us with her plans and progress to date on her studio, I thought I would share a neat idea for those of you who have purchased those wooden shelves at the craft stores that have wooden brackets underneath. I had stored my raffia and ribbons in a plastic box, always scrambling to find them when I need them. My DH, Gary, came up with the idea to use "white" bottle caps (I drink a lot of water, so these are perfect, only the case of water I have now has blue caps, so I keep trading them with others who have the white ones), anyway, he cuts out part of the rim, nails them onto the wooden bracket and a dowel slides and rolls perfectly and gives me access to ribbon, raffia and twine when I need it. Love this! I, of course am thrilled that my daughter Kristina, gave me almost three days of her week off between Christmas and New Years to get me organized. You couldn't even walk through the room for the debris everywhere. We did buy tons of plastic containers too. She is an excellent organizer. My space to "hobby" in won't be as pretty as you see in decorating magazines (and how I do admire those), but at least it is practical. Now the challenge is to keep it somewhat organized. I told Kristina that she needs to come over monthly and give me inspections to keep me whipped into shape, a really huge challenge though. Thankfully she knows me and forgives me my faults!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fabulous! But where are the other 100 rolls of ribbon? LOL
You look so orgainzed. That is a big goal for me, too. My daughter would love to just get me out of the house for 3 days while she came in and organized. I bet I'd have a lot less ribbon and everything else. Thanks for the bottle cap idea. So smart!

Jen Kershner said...

Such organization, Pauline! I'm impressed. I hope you are getting lots of play time in your studio these days! Jen

Anonymous said...

Pauline,your Gary is SO creative and smart!! Wonderful idea! This was so fun to see glimpses into where you do your fabulous creating! Have I told you lately how much you mean to me?? Well,my friend, I am telling you now!
xo,
Kim

Naturegirl said...

Love it all lucky gal!
Oh please send Kristina over here..there is so much organization needed in my office {{{I don't know where to start!}}} Boxes filled..piles here and there..books and magazines every where!!All neat piles I must add..oh please don't look! hugs NG

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

I love to organize and seeing your pictures gives me more inspiration!

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Hi Pauline! Tag!
Kim tagged me so I got you. Actually you couldn't possibly have 6 weird things about you. LOL
But I'll check back to see.
Rules are on my site or Kim's.
Donna